Much has been going on in the world of startups in Tasmania, and Startup Tasmania is proud to be initiating and supporting many of these exciting and inspiring events.
In this edition we provide a head's up on some not-to-be-missed events and a roundup of the highlights.
What's Up: Startup Tasmania events statewide
Burnie - new monthly activities now happening
There's now a focus Tasmanian activities in the North West - we've now got monthly events going in the north! The launch of the northern chapter was at Cradle Coast Innovation's 'Dreaming, Planing Doing' workshops, which brought together leading innovation experts and the local startup community. Check out the Startup Tasmania meetup group to find out when the next event will be happening.
Launceston and Hobart
- The Maker Movie screening, a game changing doco from the world of making. “Maker” is a feature documentary on the 'Maker Movement', reforming economies with a new wave ofDo-It-Yourself & Do-It-Together ethos – a timely snapshot of one of the transforming influences of the ‘Internet era'. Breaking the hobbyist stereotype, "Maker" delves deep into this new ecosystem of design & manufacturing, exploring the ideas, tools, & personalities driving the maker movement.
- A visit by Muru-D, Telstra's amazing startup incubator. muru-D is a startup accelerator backed by Telstra. They are looking to support the best digital talent that the Australasian region has to offer by offering startups $40k for 6% equity, 6 months in their coworking space, mentorship and access to other resources as well as the Telstra network. muru-D run rolling intakes of up to 10 startups and will be open for applications for their next intake very soon.
Round Up: Support for Startup activities statewide
Startup Tasmania has been securing partnerships and developing relationships in ever-widening circles to help advance the cause in Tasmania. Recent highlight include:
- The 2014 TasICT conference - We've worked with the organising committee to bring together a stellar startup-focused panel of speakers. And we organised a great discount for Startup Tasmania members. See the program at http://www.tasict.com/conference.
- The Festival of Voices - We are working with the Festival's Voices of Entrepreneurship program to help identify and mentor a selection of seed projects designed to inject new creativity to the festival and the Tasmanian scene. Check out recent developments on the Startup Tasmania blog.
- StartupAus - We're developing an ongoing partnership with this national peak body, including ensuring that their landmark statement on the Australian startup sector, the Crossroads report, was communicated widely in Tasmania. More details about this and related industry comment are on the Startup Tasmania blog.
- Reactivate Tasmania: we combined with the Reactivate Launceston group to focus on local innovation. The session in early August focused on the Macquarie House Innovation Hub and the Innovation Circle.
Startup Spring 2014! We'll bring you updates on this important national event soon!